Friday, January 27, 2012

A Secret in Her Kiss by Anna Randol

Attention grabbing cover?  Check.  Unique historical setting?  Check.  A smart and sassy heroine?  Check.  A hero destined to protect her, no matter the cost to himself, his country and his heart?  Check.  Great writing from a debut author?  Yup, another check.

Obviously the biggest thing that drew me to this book was the unique setting.  The entire book is set in Constantinople and with that came the lush descriptions of the land and fashions, which were done very well.  I really enjoyed our strong heroine, Mari and her belief that she can protect herself even though her life has been in danger before due to her secretive drawings.  When the overbearing, Adonis looking Major Bennett Prestwood arrives to protect her during her last mission, the gloves are drawn on both sides and the sparks fly. 

For a debut I was very happy with this book.  The storyline was interesting and moved quickly along.  There is a sweet side story that was enjoyable and I really did not see the big reveal at the end of the villain.  The chemistry between Mari and Bennett was smoldering and the little attentions to detail were fabulous.  It is so refreshing to read a historical that is set within a unique setting that gave me glimpses of the new area without overwhelming me with too many details.  There is just enough freshness that will have you finishing up this books with a wonderful smile on your face.  I would have liked an epilogue, but that is just me.  I love epilogues :)  If you are in the mood for a fresh location and storyline that features a strong couple amongst danger and intrigue, Anna Randol looks to be an author on the rise if her debut is any indication.  4 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment