Sunday, April 10, 2011

A Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness

Wow, what a book. I don't normally write up books I listen to on audio, why, I don't know, but I just wanted to say a few things about this one. First, the narrator was excellent. They can make or break a book and this one (Jennifer Ikeda) did an awesome job. From Matthews slight accent to when he dipped back into his roots and spoke more Frenchly to all the different woman, Diana, Aunt Sara, Emily (please forgive me if I am spelling anyones name wrong, I have not seen the book to confirm) she delivered a great performance that had me keep on going with all 20 cds. That is the second thing about this book....it is loooong (24 hours of listening) but gooood. Deborah Harkness is obviously a gifted writer to be able to weave all the history, real and fantasy, and keep the reader hooked on the tension between our couple, Matthew (a vampire) and Diana (a witch) and all their extended families.

I do believe the back of the book sums this book up perfectly so I am just going to copy what was written:
Debut novelist Deborah Harkness has crafted a mesmerizing and addictive read, equal parts history and magic, romance and suspense. . . . This smart, sophisticated story harks back to the novels of Anne Rice, but is contemporary and sensual as the Twilight series--with an extra serving of historical realism.

Sums it up about right for how I felt. If you are looking for something to fill that void of Twilight but with a more mature sounding voice (their is nothing really explicit, just more grown up sounding) than try this one. I am eagerly looking forward to two more books and seeing what the future holds for these star-crossed lovers. 4 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment