Saturday, February 2, 2013

Once Again a Bride by Jane Ashford

I loved the set up for this story: a bride not known to any other family members and then when her husband suddenly is murdered, she finds an entire new family.  And as I read the first few chapters, the set up was even more intriguing.  Charlotte Wylde married to please her dying father to an older man who treats her shabbily, and not just her husband but also the servants.  When his will reveals she may not sell any of his precious antiques, she is at a loss for funds.  An attempted burglary puts her welfare more soundly in her new guardians care, Alec Wylde.  Alec already has numerous obligations to his estate and caring for his two younger sisters and does not want another one but something about Charlotte, and the mystery of her existence, propels him to look deeper.  Not to mention his growing attraction to her. . .

While I enjoyed this book, it moved a little slow for my tastes, which can be a refreshing change of pace.  However, there was a lot of character development which was a true pleasure to read and discover.  I loved Alec's love and devotion to his family and his strong sense of honor.  Charlotte shed her shell that she had built around herself due to her worthless husband and emerged a strong, vibrant woman.  One of Alec's sisters adopts a cat and it adds a bit of humor to the storyline.  There is also a secondary romance between two of the servants that was a bit of a pleasant surprise but it adds length to the story.  I think fans of more traditional type Regencies will be very pleased with this story and the gradual love between Alec and Charlotte.  Filled with a strong sense of family and wonderful characters with some humor, charm, love and a dash of action, this is sure to be a winner.  3 1/2 stars

Review copy provided by Sourcebooks Casablanca through netgalley.com

2 comments:

  1. I always enjoy it when an author puts in an animal that brings laughter to the story. Your review has left me wanting to give this one a try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do too Leah! And since I'm a cat person, I really enjoyed the addition of Callie :) I hope you get a chance to enjoy this one.

      Delete