Saturday, February 9, 2013

Lord of Darkness by Elizabeth Hoyt

Five books into her Maiden Lane series and Elizabeth Hoyt is still on top of her game!  Godric St. John married Lady Margaret to help her out of a tough situation and it seemed to fit for him.  Megs would live in the country away from him and he could continue with his nightly duties as the Ghost of St.Giles.  This works well until Megs, and part of his family, descend upon him and turn his life upside down when Megs tells him he wants a child.  Having married and lost the great love of his life, Godric is not too keen of this plan but concedes to it with a bargain of his own.  Megs being around causes new feelings to emerge, not just for himself but she also makes him confront his issues with his family.  Megs for her part, also lost the great love of her life and does not want to feel when she is with Godric but as his secrets are revealed, the true force of their relationship is tested.

I have been a huge fan of this series and I was not sure what to expect from this book but I should never have doubted.  I loved it.  Godric is strong, patient and sexy and I loved seeing his flaws come out and be played out and strengthened with the help of Megs.  Megs is full of life and happiness and is determined to have a child with her husband, no matter the cost.  I did get a bit frustrated with her during her first bedroom encounters with Godric as she had a hard time letting go of her past, yet she expected Godric to do that with his own past.  But Godric cleared up that matter quickly and I loved that!  We again get a bit of a mystery in St. Giles but it did not take away from the growing love between Godric and Megs, if anything it helped force the feelings front and center.  The St. Giles storyline is a bit similar to the previous book but it did allow up to catch up with almost all the previous couples as a result (no Mickey and Silence though).  Ms Hoyt expertly weaves in the characters for the next book, Duke of Midnight, and I already want that book now!  The love scenes are passion filled and you could really see how they helped this couple find the love that they thought they would never have again.  This is a passionate, lovely, emotional romance that is one of my favorite reads so far this year (as if there really was any doubt).  4 1/2 stars

Review copy provided by Grand Central Publishing via netgalley

Maiden Lane series
Best enjoyed in order!
Wicked Intentions (Maiden Lane, #1)Notorious Pleasures (Maiden Lane, #2)Scandalous Desires (Maiden Lane, #3)Thief of Shadows (Maiden Lane, #4)
Duke of Midnight Oct 15th

2 comments:

  1. I have had this series on my wish list for awhile now. I really need to get them off the wish list and onto my TBR piles. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, yes, yes! This is a really great series I think. I hard a bit of a hard time with the first book but I kept with it and each book after has just been wonderful.

      Delete